The first experiment was with wine (the challenge was to use tea, coffee, or wine to dye yarn). I had a couple of bottles of wine that didn't weather the Summer very well and turned to vinegar (I really need to get a wine cooler for those couple of weeks that get seriously hot). I didn't want to waste it and it was more than I could cook with in a very long time, so I tried the dyeing. I used organic cotton yarn and pinot noir.
Ingredients:
Boiling wine + Yarn:
End Results:
I don't really love how it turned out. I think a wool might have been better and also a wine with a little more color saturation, like a burgandy. Lessons learned.
The second challenge I dyed for was to dye in a Fall color. I used turmeric on an angora/bamboo yarn. This one turned out much better.
Ingredients:
Boiling water + Turmeric + Yarn:
FInished Product with my inspiration (leaves from the tree outside my office):
I really enjoyed the experience and I will definitely be trying some other techniques.







No comments:
Post a Comment